Wednesday, December 06, 2006

My Kingdom for a Fork

Sorry to go all Seinfeld here, but what is the deal with chopsticks?

I had a very nice meal last night at Aqua, a Thai/Malaysian place in Center City (PhilaFoodie review here). I know the cuisine comes from a part of the world where chopsticks are used. But -- hello? -- I am not in Bangkok, I am in Philadelphia, where people use a little utensil that I like to call a "fork."

I don't mean to pick on Aqua, which I liked a lot. And they did bring me a fork after a bit. But why do you have to ask for it? Why do people use chopsticks when they eat Chinese, Thai, Malaysian, or other similar food? Why does the type of food cause someone to change the method of eating it? It's not like the food tastes better when it touches wood instead of metal. It's not like people in China use forks when they eat food that originated in the West. It's not like you pay in yuans or bahts at the end of the meal. What is going on here?

I feel better now. Thank you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh honey, did you have to take this rant public?
Those of us who choose to eat with chopsticks do so because it's an enjoyable alternative and an opportunity to appreciate another culture. You don't have a problem respecting the religious requisites of other cultures when you enter a house of worship. Silly as it might seem in comparison to religious observance, in truth it's not really all that different. Both offer that same opportunity for the appreciation of diversity.
Let's talk about what this really is . . . my guess is that chopsticks are harder to learn for the left-handed.
-- Mrs. FCB

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And did you ever notice that in Europe the utensils are mutant variations of American utensils? What's up with that?

Personally, when I have Chinese food, I use the chopstiicks until I am sick of them. Then I get the fork and pile it in.

With sushi, I ditch all utelsils, and with it any sense of decorum, when I use my fingers.

Friend of FCB and Mrs. FCB (or is it Ms.?).

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home