Wednesday, November 29, 2006

More McGwire

Here's another view on Mark McGwire and the Hall of Fame. I get it, but I still don't agree. And I am particularly unmoved by the argument that McGwire should get in because Harmon Killebrew got in. First, Killebrew gets extra points for having a great name. Second, I just don't believe that McGwire's 583 home runs are worth more than -- or even as much as -- Killebrew's 573 home runs given the times in which each of them played. As I argued yesterday, don't keep McGwire out because of steroids, but don't pretend that performance-enhancing drugs don't matter. The total package, at least for me, just is not there.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Until the home run derby, McGuire was a great big yawn. Now that we know what was fueling that particular derby, who cares? Certainly not posterity. And isn't that what the HOF is all about?
(Besides, that performance in front of Congress - and don't get me started on Congressional hearings about baseball - should be enough to prevent him from getting any accolades - ever - for his "performance.")
-- A friend in Philly

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home