Monday, December 18, 2006

Climb Every Mountain

I don't know anything about mountain climbing, but I know enough about 1) December; 2) cold temperatures; 3) snow; 4) ice; and 5) an 11,249-foot mountain to know that I never want to experience all of them at the same time.

I mean, really, what were these people thinking?

Let me say that I am sorry for their families and friends who have to experience such a loss. But how unforeseeable is it that there might be a monster storm at the top of a mountain at this time of year? Should people even be allowed to climb such a mountain at this time of year? What has this rescue operation cost? And how high would that cost have been if one or more of the rescuers had died as well?

I have no idea if the following is a fair comparison, but I found it interesting. Mt. Hood is situated at coordinates of 45 degrees, 22 minutes North. Chicago is located at 41 degrees, 50 minutes; Milwaukee at 43 degrees, 3 minutes; and Minneapolis at 44 degrees, 58 minutes. Ever heard of it snowing with high winds -- at ground level -- in those cities in December?

So when I read, in the article linked above, that the local sheriff says that, "We failed them. We literally failed them," I have to scratch my head. Were it up to me, there would be a sign at the foot of the mountain making clear that climbers who ascend after a certain date should not expect a rescue operation if things go wrong. Those who assume such risk have to live with -- or, however sadly, die from -- such risk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home