Monday, February 06, 2006

Super Hangover

I'm back from several days in Chicago, where, in addition to spending time with good food and good company, I watched the Super Bowl. Thank God, that mess is over. And I am only partly referring to the game:
  • That had to be the worst "Star Spangled Banner" ever at a Super Bowl, which is saying something given this list of past performers. I mean, that was use-it-as-a-torture-technique bad. It was a tag-team approach, with Aaron Neville singing the first part in the key of dog whistle. Neville then handed off to Aretha Franklin, who I think ate him. Yikes!
  • SI football writer Peter King thought it was one of the best anthems ever. Whatever.
  • It's too bad Bud Light's beer is not nearly as good as its commercials.
  • What is the big deal with the Rolling Stones? Wow -- the first song was "Start Me Up." And they sang "Satisfaction." Didn't see that coming. Yawn. I did like the promotional tie-in though: A lucky female fan won a mini-van and the right to have Mick Jagger's next child.
  • If I never hear the word "Motown" again it will be too soon. And don't get me started about Jerome Bettis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home