Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Go East, Middle-Aged Man

Today is my last full day in San Diego, so most of tomorrow will be spent traveling back to FCB World Headquarters.

Among its many charms, San Diego has big, bright red trolley cars, and people using them apparently pay their fares based on an honor system. None of the stations I have used on this and prior visits here has gates or turnstiles. They are open to all, with machines present to dispense tickets. But no trip I have been on has ever had anyone checking for tickets, although information posted on the machines warns of receiving a citation for riding without one. I don't know how much that citation will cost you or how frequently they are doled out. All I know is that I dutifully paid each time, so I guess whatever deterrent effect exists is effective, at least for cynical Right Coasters.

And it's been interesting reading about Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has spent the last few days acting like he's FDR. First, he proposed a plan to provide all Californians, including illegal immigrants, with health insurance. Then he issued an executive order designed to reduce auto emissions by 10 percent and promote demand for alternative fuels. The Big Guy is taking on the health care and petroleum industries. Not bad for one week.

Hasta la vista, baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home